“The search service is currently offline. Visit the Services on Server page in SharePoint Central Administration to verify whether the service is enabled. This might also be because an indexer move is in progress.”
I searched and found wildly different solutions for fixing this. I ended up doing the following things to correct it:
- On the new index server, I had to stop and restart the Office Search role after the initial move. I did this with stsadm via the following commands: 1) stsadm -o osearch -action stop 2) stsadm -o osearch -action start -role IndexQuery -farmserviceaccount DOMAIN\accountname -farmservicepassword PASSWORD
- Access the SSP administration page (http://url-of-central-admin/_admin/managessp.aspx), and on the drop-down menu for the SSP in question, choose Edit Properties.
- In the section titled Process Accounts with access to this SSP, add the search service account to the dialog box.
- In the section titled Index Server, select the new index server for the farm.
- Click OK to apply your changes.
- Reboot the index server and restart full crawls of the content sources.